Friendswood Energy Center
121 Megawatt Simple Cycle
Friendswood Energy Genco is a 121 MW simple-cycle gas-fired electric generating facility under construction in Houston, TX on an existing power plant site. The facility will consist of a Siemens 501 D5 gas turbine with AGC, evaporate cooling, dry low NOx burners and a selective catalytic reduction unit. Upon completion, this facility will support peak energy demands in the Houston Zone of ERCOT.
The facility is anticipated to become operational in early 2017.
The Friendswood Energy Center will:
- Insure increased reliability of the ERCOT systems grid for the heavy Houston load area
- Support the development of additional renewable generation by closing the generating gap caused when renewable energy suddenly drops offline
- Utilize the latest, most advanced emissions-control technology for peaking facilities in the US
- Create approximately 100 jobs during the construction phase, and will invest approximately $2 million annually into the local community
- Employ “Quick Start” turbines that can achieve 100% power production in less than 30 minutes
- Location: Houston, TX
- Facility Name: Friendswood Energy Center
- Facility Size: 121 Megawatts
- Fuel: Natural Gas